Wednesday, 6 March 2013

E-business in a changing world


With the rapid development of eCommerce in recent years, a great many changes can be seen in everyone’s daily lives. Not just young people but people of all ages! I first realized this about 2 years ago when I went to visit my Grandfather and he was sitting in the sitting room on his brand new “machine” ( also known as a laptop). When I asked what he was doing he simply said “I’m playing scrabble with a man in Canada!”

It is incredible how interconnected everybody can be these days. Of course this is due to the massive and rapid development of new technology. I see this in my own daily life.  Currently, I have friends and connections in America, Hong Kong and Portugal that I like to keep in contact with on a daily basis. In previous years, the most I could do would be to send an email. Now, however, I can talk to them for free, video call them for free, leave voice messages for free and send pictures to them for free. Thanks to new-age software and applications like “Skype”, “Viber” and “Voxer” I can stay in contact with these people as if they were in the next room at no financial cost. The message is sent and then delivered instantaneously. We are rapidly approaching the globalisation 3.0 era that Thomas Friedman said would soon arrive.

While I know that these programmes are “free” I also recognise that value that the businesses developing these gain from my use of them.  I don’t mean euro’s pounds or dollars, but data, information and knowledge. All of these combined give these businesses a great competitive advantage in their playing field against other businesses.  I won’t complain though, I get to talk to my friends on the other side of the world for free. As they say: “if you want to win it, you got to be in it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment